Grow grapes. Make wine. Sell at top prices. Sound easy?
Creating a wine business is a challenging but hugely rewarding exercise. In a relatively young industry, New Zealand wine has covered an enormous amount of ground in a very short time. This success has been forged by visionaries driven by passion and an incredible amount of hard graft.
A typical wine business, regardless of size, requires experience, skills and knowledge of:
- Brand management and strategic vision.
- Asset and property management.
- Project management and infrastructure development.
- Long term strategic planning.
- Development of business plans, processes and management reporting.
- Regulatory compliance, wine standards and quality assurance.
- Environmental management and local body compliance.
- HR and H+S management.
- Risk management.
- Management of supply chains, distribution channels and supplier/customer relationships.
- International trade, tourism, retail sales, hospitality.
- Financial planning and cashflow modelling – seasonal and long-term focus.
- Sales and marketing strategies.
- Day to day operations and business administration.
…… as well as growing grapes and making the wine.